buildtask without references to visual studio

Topics: Conceptual Topics
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hi,

Whats about the idea, the build task not having any references to visual studio dlls. Im not sure, but I dont think they are needed, because there is not gui needed at this point.

In my case I could compile the doc projects on my cruise control server, where no VisualStudio IDE is installed (I think, this is very common). Its clear that Help2.x would not work then, but thats ok for me.

Best regards,

Torsten

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Hi Torsten,

DocProject must use VS automation to build documentation for Managed VC++ projects since they don't support MSBuild in VS 2008 and earlier.  So I can't get rid of the references, but I probably can delay load them so that things just work on a build server without VS installed, as long as you're not using VC++.

I'm already using lazy initialization in a lot of places so I think this might work if I were to just remove the restrictions from the installer.   There's a work item for that already:

http://docproject.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=25957

FYI, DocProject doesn't use VS references to build Help 2.x, but VS must be installed anyway to install the SDK, and the SDK has the COM interfaces that DocProject requires to build Help 2.x.

- Dave

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Hi,

thanks for  the quick reply.

Just changing the setup might not work. I have tried to copy the files manually but the build task fails because some references are not in place. The missing assemblies can all be found in the visualstudio dir.

I have tried to copy the files but failed to load the extensibility.dll. It didnt load inspite it was in the assembly search path. I have attached the error message.

Torsten

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\DaveSexton.DocProject.targets(50,5): er
ror MSB4061: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Dave
Sexton.DocProject.DocProjectEnvironment' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.Fil
eNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Extensibility, Version=7.0
.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its depend
encies. The system cannot find the file specified.\r

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Hi Torsten,

I see, thanks for the info.  I'll probably have to do some refactoring to get the VS stuff hidden until it's needed.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way.

- Dave