Web Application, Not Web Site?

Topics: Features, General Discussion
Apr 18, 2007 at 7:48 PM
Is it safe to assume that I can't reference a web site project using DocProject? The Add Reference dialog box doesn't reveal the name of my project even though the DocProject and web site are in the same solution? Any workaround? Any tool that will document a web site project?
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2007 at 9:42 PM
Hi,

You are correct that DocProject does not support Web Site projects (this is documented in a couple of wiki pages).

I'm unaware of any tools that use Sandcastle to build help for Web Site projects. The problem is that Web Site projects don't produce an assembly until runtime and they don't produce an xml documentation file at all (although, you may be able to configure the project to build an xml documentation file). Also, Web Site projects don't generally use namespaces in code, so all of your web page classes, User Control classes, business objects, data objects, etc. are all just clumped together in the default namespace.

A recommended design for building applications is to separate the business logic from the user interface and the data layer from the business logic. It may be worth the effort, for multiple reasons, to extract the business logic and data access code from your Web Site project into class libraries and then document them. You can also use design patterns such as MVC and MVP, for example, to extract some of the UI code into a class library that can be documented.

HTH
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM
The 1.6.2 Release Candidate provides support for Web Site Projects since you can use a Web Deployment Project to generate an assembly that can be added as an external source (another new feature).

See How To Build Help For a Web Site Project for more information.